Victorian Mosaic Tiling
External and Internal – Garden Paths, Porches and Hallways
The London Front Garden Company supplies and lays ‘Victorian’ Mosaic Tiling for garden paths and porches, often as part of our complete garden design service.
We also restore and replace Victorian mosaic floors in halls and passages across London.
Because we specialise in garden and interior tiling for period properties, we are experts in the field.
Whether you are replacing your old path or hallway with a copy of the original, or would like to make a change with a traditional ‘twist’, we can help.
Geometric and Encaustic Tiling for that Period Finish
Whatever your requirements, we have the knowledge, skills and experience to reproduce a whole range of wonderful mosaic patterns, from the classic ‘black and white chequerboard’ geometric pattern of our logo to incredibly complex ‘box and star’ masterpieces containing patterned, or encaustic, tiles.
Geometric tiling was a huge trend in what we now call 'period properties', especially those built during Victorian and Georgian times. Although incredibly hard wearing, they also became a symbol of social standing, with some designs comprising as many as 600 tiles per square metre.
Many London homes still sport these tiles, but the vast majority have now become damaged, tired or in a state of disrepair. Many of our customers want to revitalise their homes or gardens and restore them to their former glory.
Take a look at our gallery below to see some of our tiling craftsmanship.
Our Expert Tilers can create Mosaic Masterpieces, Inside or Outside.
Craftsmanship & Materials
What makes our mosaic tiling design and fitting services the best in the business is our persistent desire to offer the best craftsmanship possible.
Our skilled tilers have thousands of hours of experience between them, have an incredible attention to detail and aim to be perfectionists in what they do.
Our work is built to last. We are agents for Original Style and Olde English Victorian Tiles manufacturers so you can be sure the materials used are the best available. All modern tiles are made in a similar way to the original Victorian mosaic tiles and are heat treated to be weather, scratch and stain resistant - which makes them suitable for all areas, from the garden to the kitchen.
Every path and hall is created by hand, laying each tile individually.
Equally important is the integrity of the footings – the base – and we take great care to ensure these are extremely strong, stable and absolutely flat.
Contact us for a free consultation and quote.
Mosaic TilingThat we've supplied and installed.
The History of Victorian Mosaic Garden Pathways: A Journey Through Time and Design
The Victorian Era: A Time of Aesthetic Revival
- Leading the Way: The Victorian era, spanning from 1837 to 1901, was a period of immense cultural and artistic growth.
- Influence on Design: This era saw a renewed interest in classical and medieval designs, which heavily influenced garden layouts and features.
The Rise of Mosaic Pathways
The London Influence
- Capital Trends: London was a hub for Victorian design, and its influence spread to gardens across the country.
- Examples to Follow: Many historic houses in London still feature original Victorian mosaic garden pathways, making them a popular choice for property owners today.
The Art of Creating Mosaic Pathways
Maintenance and Preservation
- Long-lasting Beauty: With proper care, these pathways can last for decades, adding value to any property.
- Steps to Longevity: Regular cleaning and occasional repairs are essential to maintain the pathway's original beauty.